Beauty's Castle Online Help & FAQ
General Chat Usage:
Monitor (Castle Nobility) Related:
Questions & Answers
General Chat Usage:
Q1 - What are the passwords for?
A - The password is so that Only *you* will be able to use your chosen handle, once you select it. Every time you return to Beauty's Castle you may use the handle and password you chose the first time you entered. So Be Sure to SAVE them! If a handle goes unused for 30 days, it will be deleted and available for selection by Anyone again.
Q2 - How do I receive messages?
The Only way to Keep a handle for Longer and get 'extra' privileges, is to become a Citizen.
A - Once you have Entered a Chat Room it's very simple. If you wish to
just Listen to what people are saying first or just watch for a bit, click on
the Listen button (this will give you all the new posts, but without the
text-entry box. It will also Automatically update the page at the interval set
in the Refresh Box). Or, if you wish to Actively chat, click on the Send
button. Any new conversation will be sent to you, usually along with a few of
the paragraphs you've already seen (for context). The new posts will be near
the bottom of your screen, with a red arrow just above the next post in
sequence. If there are no new posts the server will tell your browser that,
and won't send anything. Some browsers handle this by just leaving up the page
you already had; others may redraw the screen anyway.
Q3 - How do I send messages?
A - All you need to do to send a message is type it into the text entry
area on the screen and then click on Send.
Q4 - How do I Send a Private Message?
Q5 - I've lost my list box, what's going on?
A - There are two ways to send a Private message that Only You and the Receiver will see.
Method a) In the message text box, type "[recipient handle] this is my message" and click Send. Just replace "recipient handle" with your friend's handle and "this is my message" with Your message, all without the quotes.
Method b *) Just type your message in the text box as you would normally. Then, select a handle from the Message To: scroll box and click Send.
(*This feature is available for 30 days from the handle's creation date. After that time in order to retain the feature, and gain others, you can choose to become a Citizen.)
A - The pull down list box is active for Non-Citizens for 30 days only. If you wish to get this feature back you may purchase Citizenship, or create a new handle.
Q6 - How can you tell who is on-line?
A - There is not really any good way to tell who is Definitely ON-line. The chat program works in response to the Listen or Send buttons being pressed. Outside of the actual time it takes to send out an updated chat page, a person is really not connected (ON-line) to the server. Therefore we can only tell 'Who is Talking'. To do that, just check the "Message To:" scroll box and you can see how many people are Actively* posting in that room. (* Again the number of Actively posting handles is further influenced by the number of viewable posts per page. Citizens may see up to several hundred posts, while Non-Citizen's are limited to a maximum of 50)
Q7 - What is the "Back" button for?
A - The "Back" button, located at the left edge of your screen just above the text message input area, is for scrolling back in the chat transcript to 'catch up' on what was being said, or just to read a missed post. Clicking it will refresh the chat page and also add in a greater number of previous posts. The number of posts one can 'go back' is determined by the number set in the "# Back" box, times 4 (a "# Back" of 20 = 80 posts when hitting the "back" button). Further, hitting the "Back" button a second time will allow you to go further 'back' in the transcript(ex: a setting of 20 & clicking twice on "Back" = 160 posts) . All rooms give you 40 posts(public and private) when first logging in and then Default to 20 messages per page. The Maximum viewable posts per page for a Non-Citizen is 50. Citizens can view over 200 message posts per page.
Q8 - What is the "# Back" box for?
A - The "# Back" box, located at the top right edge of the text message input area, is for setting the Default number of viewable message posts per page, and for setting the multiplier for scrolling back in the transcript as described in the previous question. When logging in to a room the chat displays 40 messages(public and private) and then defaults to 20 messages per page after clicking "Send" for the first time. The number in the "# Back" box can be changed to any number between 1 - 50 for Non-Citizens, and 1 - 200 for Citizens
Q9 - I'm Lost! How do I change rooms?
A - Beauty's Castle is arranged like a Real-Time/3D castle. It would seem obvious to most people in a Real 3D castle that all rooms don't connect immediately to each other and that one must "travel" through different rooms and hallways, both indoor and out, to reach one's destination. It is the same here at Beauty's Castle. Each room has different exits depending upon where you are. Pay Attention to how they Change! Certain rooms also act as "hubs" or "gateways" to other areas. The most obvious is the "Public Square", which offers portals to all the various regions of the Castle.
Q10 - How do I get back to the chat room I was in?
To Change rooms, locate the "Change To:" button at the left edge of your page just below the ad banner(for Non-Citizens) or just below the text message input area(for Citizens). Select the room you wish to enter from the scrolling list to the right of the "Change To:" button. Click the "Change To:" button and you will be automatically logged in to the new room, or its associated greeting page. Citizens enjoy complete access to the Castle and all its many rooms and secret passageways.
A - Just use your browser's Back button. This will take you back to the
chat in progress. Once there you may update the messages as stated
Q11 - Is Beauty's Castle really Wireless compatible?
A - Yes! You can use your Blackberry, Palm Pilot, or other wireless internet enabled device to access Beauty's Castle chat. While we do not yet support WAP enabled mobile phone browsers (we are working on it!), if your mobile phone can be used as a wireless modem, you can use it to connect your PDA to chat. For further details on using your mobile phone as a wireless modem, or connecting your PDA to the internet, please check your equipment manuals or contact the manufacturer.
Q12 - I seem to be having problems connecting to the server?
A - Send an email to Admin, and include a traceroute. How to do a traceroute in Windows. Often the reason you can not connect to the Castle is because of a bad connection between you and us. The traceroute will tell us exactly where the problem is.
Q13 - I can't read the text in the Enter Handle page?
A - Try going into the Options/General Preferences/Appeareance, choosing the Colors tab, and clicking "Always use my colors, Overriding Page" box. This change will override the text and background colors, which should make everything visible.
Q14 - I've made a handle, but every time I enter the chat it kicks me back out?
Q15 - Every time I try to create a handle is says, "Sorry handle already in use.". Why?
A - Could be that your ISP has been banned due to abuse, or security issues that they did not resolve. If you would like to chat at Beauty's Castle just email Beauty's Castle Administration with any handles or passwords that you may want.
Q16 - No matter what handle I pick it still won't let me make a handle?
"The handle you selected is already in use. Please select one of the following options."
Monitor (Castle Nobility) Related:
A - a) Most likely your ISP has been banned because of an abusive user that your ISP refused to reprimand properly. Send email to Beauty's Castle Administration with any handles and passwords you may like. If they are free we will make them for you, Happily! Usually within 24hrs. or less.
A - b) You are an AOL or WebTV user. Unfortunately due to various issues with AOL and WebTV proxies, and their caching servers, some users may not be able to create new handles. If this is the case just send an email with the handles and passwords that you desire to Beauty's Castle Administration. If they are free we will make them for you, Happily! Usually within 24hrs. or less.
Q17 - What can I do if someone comes into the room and Harasses me or my friends?
A - First, try to remain Civil and Calm. Better that it remains Clear who is at fault(s). The chat is Monitored! That means that there are folk who can deal with these people when normal conversation does not help. If one is not already present try Publicly requesting a Monitor or asking a Citizen to page one.
Q18 - How come I was removed from chat (aka "twitted") without being notified?
A - 1) You broke a rule or law of the Castle but were not present at the time your actions were reported to a Monitor, and the Monitor in question did not have any way of contacting you. NOTE: This is not a common practise and only happens when the chat is abused and no Monitor is present at the time of the incident. In such cases a Monitor may posthumously remove (aka "twit") an offender, usually for 24 hours.
Q19 - What is this three removal (aka "3 twit") rule?
A - 2) You are a repeat offender and have been warned previously NOT to engage in a particular behavior. Then you do so Again.
A - If you are removed from public chat (aka "twitted", which renders you invisible to everyone but the Monitors) 3 times or more, you are eligible to be banned permanently from the Castle. In extreme cases your ISP may be contacted and your Internet access account canceled.
Q20 - Just Who is this "ShadowLord" person, and Why does he keep pestering me?
A - "ShadowLord" is one of the Castle's Lords (Monitors) and specifically one who cares for the BDSM related areas of the Castle. If he has in fact spoken to you and you Don't know him, you were most likely misbehaving in a Dungeon-related room of Beauty's Castle. If you were not removed for your improper behavior you should count yourself Lucky and Behave! If you were removed, you should go somewhere else and come back in 24hrs. with a better attitude. Remember to be Courteous and Civil at All times in the Castle, not just when speaking with Monitors.
Q21 - I was just doing the same as Everyone else and BAM! I got hassled by a Monitor! What gives?
A - Just because others are 'getting away' with something does NOT make it right, or Acceptable behavior. Monitors do their Best to be fair and civil in all their dealings, but they are not omniscient and can't handle every offender at once. Be Courteous and adjust *your* behavior accordingly. Don't concern yourself about what does or does not get told to others. If they are breaking rules, they Will be treated accordingly. Now or Later (see question #18).
Q22a - I was just having some Fun while the room was Empty and suddenly, BAM! I got hassled by a Monitor! What gives?
A - The fact that a room is currently empty or 'quiet' does NOT mean that its rules or theme are 'taking a break'. The Castle's Laws and a room's Rules do not Ever change regardless of the number of people in it. If you get caught misbehaving in an otherwise empty room, you are just as guilty as if it were Full! Again, if *you* break the rules *you* will be treated accordingly. Now or Later (see question #18).
Q22b - I was talking about the weather and my family in a BDSM related room and got told to "take it to Private" or go to Club Soda or Whips Tavern! What gives? Can't I get to know someone in the Subterranean Corridors or Dungeon rooms?
A - In a word, No. Those rooms are for discussing BDSM and other fetish topics, as posted. If you wish to chat about NON-BDSM life & topics you should take the conversation to private or go to a "general chat" themed room. Remember, in a Virtual setting it is the words spoken that give the room its character and theme, and straying from it does a disservice to all. Please re-read the main page and rules of Beauty's Castle. Again, if *you* break the rules *you* will be treated accordingly. Now or Later (see question #18).
Q23 - I got removed (aka "twitted") but I was NOT breaking ANY rules! The Monitor is Wrong! What can I do?
A - Being approached by a Monitor, for an offense of some sort, is much like being pulled over by a police officer for speeding or going through a stop sign. Do Not behave rudely or be discourteous on any account! It will only get you in further trouble! LISTEN to what they might have to say and correct your behavior accordingly. IF you do not think your behavior needs changing or that the Monitor is otherwise incorrect or overstepping their bounds, Do NOT ARGUE with them! It will only get you in further trouble with a police officer, and the same is true here at the Castle. For those who DISAGREE, please cut and paste the entire exchange, including the posts in question and any private messages between you and the Monitor, and send it to Beauty's Castle Administration ASAP! We will review the entire exchange and in the event a Monitor is found to have acted inappropriately, we will take immediate action to correct the matter, and ensure that similar events do not occur in the future.
Q24 -Can anyone get my name and Internet address if I am in a chat room?
A - No, that information is not available to the public. Only information *you* choose to give out is known. While Beauty's Castle Administration has access to all chat related Internet address information, it is only accessed to solve abuse related issues and is never divulged to the public or Monitors.
Q25 -Someone said they will/did/might 'infect' this server\chat\site with a virus. Can I catch it if I am in a chat room?
A - No. You can not catch any sort of virus by chatting at this site and using it's services. Even if the server itself were to become somehow 'infected' by a virus of some sort, chat users would still be unaffected. They are just trying to scare the feeble minded. This is all beside the fact that we constantly monitor our servers 24/7 for all types of nefarious activity.
Q26 - A person whom I know has been Banned just came into the room. What should I do?
A - Well, the correct thing to do would be to page or call for a Monitor and notify them. If no Monitors are available then send an email to with a copy of a post or two. Ignoring the intrusion and going about your business is certainly acceptable as well. What is not acceptable is Engaging a Banned person in any sort of dialog. Doing so violates your agreement to chat here and further encourages someone illegally entering our Castle Community.Administration
Q27 -But the person Banned is a friend of mine, can't I speak to them?
A - No. Not by using any services of Beauty's Castle. If you wish to talk to them then you must do so outside of Beauty's Castle systems as that is what Banishment means. To do so in any fashion, even a "Hi dude" may get you banned as well. Don't do it.
Q28 -I have been Banned. What should I do?
A - Most likely you were told what to do when you were banned. If not then you were probably not around long enough to get the message. In that case you need to write an email to and request the reason, although you should already know as to be chatting here you must be an Intelligent, Mature, Civil, and Courteous Adult. In many cases you may gain readmittance by submitting a Sincere and Honest explanation and apology to Administration along with your solemn Word that such an incident will Never occur again. If you are believable and sincere you may have your access restored. However, while we may sometimes grant honest and sincere people a "second chance" (don't most people deserve one?) we have no intention playing Charlie Brown to anyone's Lucy. Don't blow it.Admin
Q29 - I'm a Citizen. My pages are not being seen by others. Am I paging correctly?
A - Chances are, you are not paging right. To page correctly see below:
Q30 - I'm a Citizen. What is the banner policy?
1. Enter the handle you wish to page-to in the text-area box next to the "Page" button. Make sure there are NO spaces after the handle.
2. Enter the message you wish to send to the user in the normal chat "message area".
3. Hit the "Page" button (just underneath the "Change To" button).
4. If your pages are still not being seen, and you have done the above, cut
and paste your paging tests & email them to admin. We will point out where
your mistakes are, if any.
5. Please note that paging is turned off in certain rooms. So, if the
user you are paging is in those rooms they will NOT see your pages.
6. Rooms that do not currently accept pages are: The Great Hall, The Parapet, The
Sacred Temple, The Vault, The Crypt, The Crystal Lake, The Inner Sanctum, The Void, and The Tap
A - Castle Banner Policy:
Q31 - I'm a Citizen. How do I create my private room?
Castle Banners are put up based upon the following criteria:
1. The order in which they are received (date and time)
2. The date they are requested to be up.
3. Citizens banners are not censored or prioritized by content except for the following; No flaming, bad mouthing, etc. (If people want to do that, send an E-mail. The Castle banner system is NOT for personal wars.)
4. Only 5 banners go up a day. (The Castle administration reserves the right to use one banner slot on any given day, as necessary for Castle business, in which case only 4 slots will be available)
5. There are currently 2 Castle banners that have priority:
a. Time Out banners every Wednesday.
b. Newspaper banners the first week of every month, and as necessary.
6. Banners longer than a paragraph are listed on the "Extra Banners" page. (A paragraph is usually 3 to 5 sentences long)
When the banner slots for any given day are Full and there is a backlog of banners, the following criteria are used as well:
7. Citizens who have sent in more than one banner for a given day will be allowed only one banner per day, unless there are no other banners requested by other Citizens for that day.
8. In the event of multiple banners from a single Citizen, Date Sensitive social events such as Anniversaries, Birthdays, Collarings, etc. get priority over "Thank you" banners and other social commentary.
A - The information was included in your initial Citizen Confirmation email which you should have Read & Saved. If you have lost or misplaced that email(or can't read), please fill in the answers to all the questions contained either in the text document , or the html document and send it to Admin.
Q32 - I'm a Citizen. Can I purchase a second private room?
A - Yes, you may.
Q33 - I'm a Citizen. Are there any Rules & Regulations for private rooms?
$10 For first time setup of the room.
$5 For each time you renew your account to keep the room.
A - Yes! Absolutely. Failure to follow them could cause loss of Citizenship and/or Castle access.
Q34 - I'm a Citizen. How do I change my private room password? How do I change the other attributes?
Unfortunately or not, there are some obvious and not so obvious Rules & Regulations that must be followed for All Private Rooms at Beauty's Castle:1. Rooms must Not be used for any activities that are in violation of Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, or US Law. In specific: No child pornography, bestiality, or narcotics.
2. Private Rooms may not have public entrances outside of Beauty's Castle. Nor may they be advertised or marketed on web pages, in search engines, or in newsgroups.
Citizens wishing to create such pages should email Mistress Beauty & Beauty's Castle Administration with any details to ask for potential approval.
A - Email admin with your private room password change, and include your Beauty's Castle Account ID#. If you don't remember your ID# you must email your request from an Authorized Email Address (one on file with Castle Admin for your account) including the room login name, current room password, and the new room password. For any other room changes such as background graphic, color, or font size changes, etc. please follow the same guidelines as above.
Q35 - I'm a Citizen. Can I put another user on my account?
A - Yes, under Special Conditions. BUT... we do NOT recommend this.
Q36 - I'm a Citizen. How do I renew my account?
Accounts are designed to be used by a Single User or RT-Couple. In order to add an "Authorized Secondary User" to your Citizenship Account you Must follow the guidelines below and understand the implications of such a choice.
(Special Conditions:) By adding a Secondary User to your Citizenship Account *YOU* Understand and AGREE to the guidelines below - Automatically: (make SURE you understand!)
1. All handles in an account share the SAME password. This means the Secondary User will have access to ANY of the other handles on that account, so You better Trust the person! If the Secondary User causes any disruption or gets removed from chat it will count against You as the Account Owner. Further, if the Secondary User gets banned, the Entire Account may get banned too. We can not, and do not, make distinctions between multiple users of the same Citizenship Account.
2. Proper contact information MUST be filed with Beauty's Castle Administration for the Secondary User. The information required is the same all Citizen's must submit in order to have their account processed. The easiest thing to do is have the "Authorized Secondary User" fill out the chat subscription form and make sure to type "Secondary User of MainCitizen-Handle's Account" in the Comments section. Once submitted the information will be held strictly confidential in an offline database, as we do with all Citizen Data. While we care about keeping the Quality & Accountability of our Citizens High, we are Always concerned about your privacy.
3. If Beauty's Castle Administration 'discovers' that a Citizen has an "UNauthorized Secondary User"(no registration with Admin) on their account, their privileges will be shut off immediately until proper information is submitted or the user is removed. The offending Citizen will also lose a minimum of 1 month's Citizenship for allowing an "UNauthorized Secondary User". Beauty's Castle believes in keeping its Citizens Honest & Accountable.
A - Use any of the following methods:
1. Check / Money Order - send in payment for the desired subscription time (without the $10 setup fee Unless your account has lapsed 14 days past your expiration date). Also include a note with your Beauty's Castle Account ID# that you received when you signed up the first time, or write it in the note area of the check / money order. You don't have to fill out a subscription form UNLESS you are making handle or password changes to your account as well. If you do not include your Account ID# your account processing may be delayed.
2. Credit Card / Online Check - go to the Citizenship signup page for your desired payment method and go through the normal signup process. All the Online Payment fees are static whether it is a new account or a renewal (these prices are often higher than postal payment due to third party processing fees). Also include a note in the Comments field with your Beauty's Castle Account ID# that you received when you signed up the first time. If you do not include your Account ID# your account processing may be delayed.
Q37 - How can I view the transcript that has scrolled off the top of my chat page?
A - Click the back button at the upper left corner of the text box. You will then get 4x the number of messages set in the "# back Box" located at the upper right of the text box. Repeated use of the command will go back even further.
Q38 - Can I repost transcript from the chat rooms?
A - No. You may not. Unless you receive permission from Mistress Beauty OR Administration. Sleeping Beauty Publications Ltd. owns Copyright for all material posted. You wave your rights to any Copyright when you post within the chat site.
Q39 - Can I put up a doorway page to enter Beauty's Castle on my site?
A - No, you may not! Any public doorway pages found (either by chatters or employees) on sites not associated, or approved by Sleeping Beauty Publications Ltd. will be removed. Denying this removal will result in a lawsuit against you, and your site.
Q40 - Why does Beauty's Castle use "html" chat? Why not 'upgrade' to a faster Java-based chat?
A - Java-based chat is a different 'animal' and comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges(sorry!)(g). Beauty's Castle CHOOSES to be an html-based chat for several reasons:
1. Html chat encourages people to post longer and more descriptive statements, rather than short one-liners. This brings a richer and more robust chat experience, where people can exchange more complex ideas and concepts.
2. Much like reading a good book, html chat encourages Imagination. The better you can describe your mood, attire, actions, the better and more fulfilling the entire exchange becomes. Java-based chat is fast and 'glitzy' and does not allow for such extended posts unless you are a speed-typer, and even then your posts will scroll off the page and be lost forever in a few moments.
3. It encourages people to READ and be Patient, always good things! People are more apt to pay attention to what is being said if they Don't have to 'hurry' and read a post and respond before it is gone, as you do in most Java-based chat programs.
4. It discourages Impatient people and those looking for a 'Quick Thrill'. If the chat isn't fast enough for you or you like Java-based chat better, please go chat at one! We at Beauty's Castle are not looking to compete with them. We are Happy how we *are*.
Do you have questions that are not posted on this page?
If so, please feel free to email Castle Administration.
Use your Browser's "Back" button to return to Chat
or click *here* to go to Beauty's Castle Entrance.